Azerbaijan, ethnic Armenians meet after Karabakh ceasefire
STORY: Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenians began talks on Nagorno-Karabakh on Thursday (September 21).
The meeting comes after the breakaway region was forced into a surrender that has stoked calls for the resignation of Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan.
The ethnic Armenian leadership said key details, including the surrender of weapons, still needed to be worked out.
While officials from both sides sat at a small round table in the Azerbaijani city of Yevlakh, ethnic Armenian officials said there had been gunfire around 60 miles away in Karabakh's main city, a claim also made by Reuters sources.
Ethnic Armenians call Karabakh's main city "Stepanakert", while Azeris call it "Khankendi".
Karabakh authorities have accused Azerbaijani forces of violating the ceasefire and advised residents to stay indoors.
Pashinyan addressed citizens on national independence day.
"Peace is an environment that is free from conflicts, inter-state, inter-ethnic conflicts. This path is not easy, it goes through external and internal shocks, and we must go through this path for the sake of independence, for the sake of statehood, for the sake of the future."
He made no direct reference to Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said on Wednesday (September 20) his "iron fist" had consigned the idea of a separate ethnic Armenian Karabakh to history.
Karabakh Armenians say they had no choice but to accept Azerbaijan's terms, after Aliyev's army broke through their lines in a 24-hour offensive.
Baku's defense ministry said the report that its forces had attacked Khankendi was "completely false".
Under the ceasefire agreement, as outlined by Azerbaijan, breakaway Armenian forces must disband and disarm.
And the region of 120,000 people must be fully integrated into Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan's rapid victory represented the culmination of decades of struggle to regain control of Karabakh.
The ethnic Armenian population there broke away in a major war in the 1990s that coincided with the collapse of the Soviet Union.
On Wednesday, Aliyev said he wished to turn the Karabakh region into "paradise."
He added that Karabakh's Armenians would now have their religious and cultural rights respected.
But, nevertheless, thousands of ethnic Armenians massed at Stepanakert's airport, while others took shelter with Russian peacekeepers.
Azerbaijan's victory is yet another twist to the tumultuous history of mountainous Nagorno-Karabakh.
Known as Artsakh by Armenians, the territory is internationally recognized as part of mainly Muslim Azerbaijan, but its ethnic Armenian inhabitants are Christians.
- 高效率存股！股利價差兩頭賺進擊的荷包68,809 次觀看・6 天前
- 開放印度移工主因為何？許銘春：分散風險、多一個選擇【齊有此理】齊有此理163,744 次觀看・8 小時前
- 離譜駕駛！ 移拒馬停私人車位 恐觸侵入住宅罪華視影音276,186 次觀看・2 天前
- 「幻術師大仙」遭2男翻道具嘲笑 扶輪社長：將北上道歉華視影音5,809 次觀看・1 天前
- 謝國樑夜襲NET? 照片曝與員警1/31晚間同時現身市府民視影音3,267 次觀看・1 天前
- 做凍甲小手術怎陷昏迷 醫師點關鍵在「麻醉」｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞3,699 次觀看・1 天前
- 律師疑闖紅燈遭開單 要求「郵寄舉發」女警呼叫支援民視影音314,145 次觀看・2 天前
- 一分鐘報天氣 / 週四 (02/29) 週四午後鋒面接近 週五再有大幅度變化Yahoo奇摩新聞（報氣象）6,311 次觀看・1 天前
- 德國首部兒童LGBT歌劇 王子不娶公主愛同性僕人 劇作家盼展示現實日常Yahoo奇摩（國際通）9,154 次觀看・7 小時前
- 高雄市長之戰提前開打! 柯志恩讚林岱樺"比較勇敢"民視影音27,557 次觀看・7 小時前
- 作家H才結婚一個月就宣布離婚 自曝「搞砸了」女方遭封鎖3.4次娛樂星聞84,621 次觀看・4 天前
- 搶不到龍年燈籠別難過！ 百元鈔票輕鬆摺出「好運龍來」Yahoo創作摩人9,368 次觀看・6 天前
- 【一日三餐簡易料理】零失敗，這控肉飯根本可以拿去賣了😳一鍋到底超簡單炊飯，必學韓式飯糰包法！這款落羽香稻單吃就好甜！吃播/eating show★特盛吃貨艾嘉f.t三好米特盛吃貨艾嘉6,142 次觀看・2 週前
- 你是否有女性特質？70%男生看不出來？【最近紅什麼】《生活》最近紅什麼4,460 次觀看・3 天前
- 冬天要多吃高麗菜，教你懶人新吃法，加1個杏鮑菇，不燉不蒸煮，比紅燒肉香！芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV39,826 次觀看・2 天前