Two Chinese cities ease COVID curbs after protests
STORY: Protesters clashed with police in the Chinese city of Guangzhou on Tuesday night.
These videos obtained from social media show people throwing objects at the police.
On the other side, dozens of riot police in all-white pandemic gear hold shields over their heads.
Guangzhou is a sprawling port city north of Hong Kong in Guangdong province.
In videos that seemed to show earlier in the day, people were seen gathering around barricades in the manufacturing hub.
Reuters could verify the videos were filmed in Guangzhou,
but could not verify the sequence of events nor what sparked the clashes.
However, scenes of protest have become common across China over the past few days,
as anger about strict COVID-19 rules - three years into the pandemic - appears to be boiling over onto the streets.
National health officials said on Tuesday that China would respond to the:
"urgent concerns" raised by the public and that rules would be implemented more flexibly.
Hours later, officials in Guangzhou said they would allow close contacts of COVID cases to quarantine at home.
Meanwhile, in Zhengzhou - home to a Foxconn factory making Apple iPhones that has also seen COVID protests-
- officials announced the "orderly" resumption of businesses, including supermarkets, gyms and restaurants.
Some elderly residents on the streets of Shanghai expressed fear about the easing of restrictions.
“I will be pretty worried (if curbs are eased). Especially for the elderly who haven’t been vaccinated. And if it opens up, it will be more troublesome for the elderly to get this disease. Now the state is still providing vaccines, so protect yourself. The state cares about you, so it will get better. If the elderly doesn’t get vaccinated, they will be quite worried."
While the easing of some measures appear to be an attempt to appease the public, authorities have also begun to seek out those who have been at recent protests.
A Beijing resident told Reuters on Wednesday that police had come to their home and got them to complete a written record.
Another resident said some friends who posted videos of protests on social media were taken to a police station and asked to sign a promise they "would not do that again".
Beijing's Public Security Bureau did not comment.
In a statement that did not refer to the protests,
the Communist Party's top body in charge of law enforcement agencies said that China would crack down on:
"the infiltration and sabotage activities of hostile forces".
The wave of civil disobedience is unprecedented in mainland China since President Xi Jinping assumed power a decade ago.
- 印尼雅加達空污居民苦 發電廠陰影下生活30年 孩童罹結核病 肺炎病患翻倍Yahoo奇摩（國際通）11,311 次觀看・13 小時前
- 俄羅斯高院裁決LGBTQ為「極端分子」即刻禁止境內活動 活動人士憂遭起訴逮捕Yahoo奇摩（國際通）8,968 次觀看・13 小時前
- 台灣之星再見！ 「台台併」首日用戶讚訊號變好｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞14,053 次觀看・11 小時前
- 尷尬！賴清德出席新創嘉年華遭二度嗆聲：爛人｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞85,881 次觀看・1 天前
- 美科學家用人類細胞造「活體機器人」自主移動到受損神經細胞 3天修復Yahoo奇摩（國際通）8,039 次觀看・8 小時前
- Jennie踩20公分高跟鞋超怕摔倒 上舞台「超緩慢動作」逗樂粉絲娛樂星聞22,431 次觀看・14 小時前
- 楊繡惠被美國人認成楊紫瓊！ 「何時去領奧斯卡獎」竟連爸爸都這樣說娛樂星聞4,640 次觀看・14 小時前
- "傳動蓋未密合"吃罰單 騎士冤喊:原廠就長這樣民視影音77,393 次觀看・1 天前
- 一分鐘報天氣/週六(12/02日) 週末東北季風持續影響 北部東部整日濕涼 外出記得攜帶雨具Yahoo奇摩新聞（報氣象）1,199 次觀看・8 小時前
- 童遭拉扯下車重摔！ 親生母控嬸嬸非第一次動手華視影音65,625 次觀看・12 小時前
- 精華｜這些星座什麼大風大浪都見過！射手故事多到可以出書！？唐綺陽談星室68,678 次觀看・1 週前
- 不用大老遠跑去台北逛唐吉軻德 台中分店開箱！10大必買超值商品Yahoo創作摩人27,018 次觀看・4 天前
- 行醫40年的中醫師的食療配方，教你顧脾胃保護腸道消化｜91歲阿嬤身體問題迎刃而解 Ft.胡乃文醫師 [送你營養吃]黃君聖Sunny營養師99,533 次觀看・1 週前
- 街頭訪問-你的夢想是什麼?你有夢想嗎!?雷達之星11,272 次觀看・1 週前
- 【超商火鍋】用火鍋湯底連吃好幾餐，鴛鴦鍋、麻辣排骨、壽喜燒燉煮、牛奶燉飯、簡單又滿足😌吃播/eating show★特盛吃貨艾嘉f.t煮時光特盛吃貨艾嘉9,230 次觀看・1 週前