Why are 120,000 people leaving Nagorno-Karabakh?
STORY: Thousands of ethnic Armenians were seen fleeing the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh on Monday (September 25).
Many are queuing up on the road to Armenia after their decades-old separatist state was defeated by Azerbaijan in a lightning military operation.
So why are these people leaving?
The leadership of the breakaway region says 120,000 ethnic Armenians will leave Nagorno-Karabakh as they do not want to live as part of Azerbaijan.
Baku says it will guarantee their rights and integrate the region.
But the Armenians say they fear repression - and ethnic cleansing. Azerbaijan has denied any such intentions.
In the First Karabakh War between 1988 and 1994, about 30,000 people were killed and more than a million people displaced.
If all 120,000 ethnic Armenians go down the Lachin corridor to Armenia, the small country could face a humanitarian crisis.
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said on Friday (September 22) that space had been allocated for at least 40,000 people.
With winter approaching, it was not immediately clear where 120,000 people could be housed in Armenia, whose population is just 2.8 million.
The International Committee of the Red Cross says it has started registering people looking for unaccompanied children or who have lost contact with loved ones.
For Azerbaijan, the exit of Armenians from Karabakh is a major victory.
It brings an apparent close to many years of war and squabbling over the region.
President Ilham Aliyev said his iron fist had consigned the idea of an independent ethnic Armenian Karabakh to history.
And claims and that the region will become a "paradise" as part of Azerbaijan.
The mass exodus could change the delicate balance of power in the South Caucasus region.
It is an area with a patchwork of ethnicities crisscrossed with oil and gas pipelines.
Russia, the United States, Turkey and Iran are all fighting for influence.
Russia has a military base in Armenia and regards itself as the prime security guarantor in the region.
But Armenia's Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has said the crisis showed that his country could not rely on Russia to defend its interests.
Pashinyan said that unidentified forces were seeking to stoke a coup against him.
He has accused Russian media of fighting an information war against him.
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Monday that Russia considers Armenia its ally.
But rejects Yerevan's attempts to blame Moscow for the crisis.
This month, Armenia hosted a joint army exercise with the United States, which has criticized Azerbaijan's military operation.
Turkey, a NATO member, supports Azerbaijan.
- 小獼猴掉落遭母獅叼走 驚悚一幕在動物園上演華視影音11,516 次觀看・10 小時前
- 台3線苗栗三灣段 重機疑過彎失控！滑對向撞車亡東森新聞影音2,561 次觀看・7 小時前
- 悚! 壽山小獼猴嬉戲掉入非洲獅區 成為母獅獵物TVBS新聞網影音1,369 次觀看・7 小時前
- 一分鐘報天氣/週一(12/04日) 午後水氣漸增降雨擴大，明週一鋒面掠過普遍有雨Yahoo奇摩新聞（報氣象）1,511 次觀看・11 小時前
- 一週只賣3天！ 台南「紅燒牛肉湯+泡麵」暴紅排隊華視影音24,506 次觀看・2 天前
- Jennie絕美素顏現身書店！ 曝光鮮亮麗的背後「純樸般的生活」娛樂星聞1,451 次觀看・18 小時前
- 恐怖！槍手一進門就開槍 鄰居男無辜枉死｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞676 次觀看・1 天前
- 疑民眾未垃圾分類!垃圾車竄火苗 急傾倒撲滅TVBS新聞網影音24,095 次觀看・7 小時前
- 少女看過來! 檸檬塔.瑪德蓮.馬卡龍12款甜點吃到飽民視影音94,383 次觀看・2 天前
- 受過狙擊訓練? 花蓮路邊機車爬滿"輪胎苦瓜"民視影音23,411 次觀看・12 小時前
- 精華｜這些星座什麼大風大浪都見過！射手故事多到可以出書！？唐綺陽談星室79,305 次觀看・1 週前
- 不用大老遠跑去台北逛唐吉軻德 台中分店開箱！10大必買超值商品Yahoo創作摩人35,384 次觀看・6 天前
- 行醫40年的中醫師的食療配方，教你顧脾胃保護腸道消化｜91歲阿嬤身體問題迎刃而解 Ft.胡乃文醫師 [送你營養吃]黃君聖Sunny營養師106,697 次觀看・1 週前
- 街頭訪問-你的夢想是什麼?你有夢想嗎!?雷達之星15,872 次觀看・2 週前
- 【超商火鍋】用火鍋湯底連吃好幾餐，鴛鴦鍋、麻辣排骨、壽喜燒燉煮、牛奶燉飯、簡單又滿足😌吃播/eating show★特盛吃貨艾嘉f.t煮時光特盛吃貨艾嘉12,993 次觀看・1 週前