Sacramento firefighters said a Tesla Model S was engulfed in flames on a highway on Saturday, January 28, after its “battery compartment spontaneously caught fire”.
The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District responded to the fire on Highway 50 in Rancho Cordova. Crews used jacks to access the underside and “extinguish and cool the battery,” they said, adding “thousands of gallons were used in extinguishment.”
No injuries were reported, the fire service said. Credit: Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District via Storyful