Appeals court rebuffs Trump's bid to delay fraud trial
STORY: Former U.S. president Donald Trump lost his bid to delay his pending civil lawsuit for fraud in New York.
That means he will most likely go to court on Monday, October 2nd over claims he fraudulently overvalued his assets and properties – including his sprawling Mar-a-Lago estate – to get better terms on loans.
A five-judge panel on a New York appeals court on Thursday dismissed a motion Trump filed against trial judge Arthur Engoron in a lawsuit targeting the judge, that sought to postpone the trial.
Their rejection also came after Engoron ruled Trump was liable for fraud on Tuesday.
The judge said there was “conclusive evidence” that Trump overstated his fortune by as much as $2.2 billion, in his partial summary judgement for the case brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James.
Trump’s lawyers accused Engoron of ignoring a previous court order which, according to Trump, required gutting James’ case because many of her claims were too old, but Engoron said on Tuesday he believed the previous ruling from an appeals court had little effect on the case itself.
Letitia James has probed Trump for years.
The state attorney general sued Trump last November, seeking at least $250 million in penalties, bans on some of Trump’s children from running businesses in New York, and a commercial-estate ban against Trump and the Trump Organization.
Late Wednesday, the attorney general’s office disclosed lists of witnesses, potentially numbering in the hundreds.
Donald Trump and his adult sons appear on both lists.
As do former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg and controller Jeffrey McConney.
The list also includes Trump’s onetime personal lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen, and his daughter Ivanka Trump, who was previously dismissed as a defendant in June.
Lawyers for Trump and other defendants did not respond to a request for comment, nor did the attorney general’s office.
The New York civil fraud case is unrelated to four criminal indictments that Trump faces, including one for trying to overturn the 2020 presidential election.
Trump has pleaded not guilty to all his legal woes, and has called himself the victim of a Democratic witch hunt.
- 台灣之星再見！ 「台台併」首日用戶讚訊號變好｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞16,382 次觀看・18 小時前
- 比手語致謝! 吳慷仁《富都青年》首映會上遇聽障者淚崩TVBS新聞網影音4,330 次觀看・12 小時前
- 俄羅斯高院裁決LGBTQ為「極端分子」即刻禁止境內活動 活動人士憂遭起訴逮捕Yahoo奇摩（國際通）9,537 次觀看・21 小時前
- 尷尬！賴清德出席新創嘉年華遭二度嗆聲：爛人｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞107,753 次觀看・1 天前
- 美科學家用人類細胞造「活體機器人」自主移動到受損神經細胞 3天修復Yahoo奇摩（國際通）12,490 次觀看・16 小時前
- 別再用油炒雞蛋，把雞蛋倒入熱水中，瞬間變成美食，比肉還香！素食料理芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV35,036 次觀看・4 天前
- 印尼雅加達空污居民苦 發電廠陰影下生活30年 孩童罹結核病 肺炎病患翻倍Yahoo奇摩（國際通）11,828 次觀看・21 小時前
- 立院外"民眾開講" 柯文哲.黃珊珊.黃國昌.館長合體民視影音5,168 次觀看・9 小時前
- 傳新北立委估剩4席 卓榮泰：力拚現狀、維持過半｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞541 次觀看・19 小時前
- 士林夜市火鍋一條街消失！ 僅存40年老店苦撐東森新聞影音1,052 次觀看・10 小時前
- 精華｜這些星座什麼大風大浪都見過！射手故事多到可以出書！？唐綺陽談星室68,827 次觀看・1 週前
- 不用大老遠跑去台北逛唐吉軻德 台中分店開箱！10大必買超值商品Yahoo創作摩人27,154 次觀看・4 天前
- 行醫40年的中醫師的食療配方，教你顧脾胃保護腸道消化｜91歲阿嬤身體問題迎刃而解 Ft.胡乃文醫師 [送你營養吃]黃君聖Sunny營養師99,673 次觀看・1 週前
- 街頭訪問-你的夢想是什麼?你有夢想嗎!?雷達之星11,388 次觀看・1 週前
- 【超商火鍋】用火鍋湯底連吃好幾餐，鴛鴦鍋、麻辣排骨、壽喜燒燉煮、牛奶燉飯、簡單又滿足😌吃播/eating show★特盛吃貨艾嘉f.t煮時光特盛吃貨艾嘉9,331 次觀看・1 週前