China sends astronauts to 'Celestial Palace' in historic mission
STORY: The spacecraft Shenzhou-15, or "Divine Vessel," and its three passengers lifted off atop a Long March-2F rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre at 11:08 p.m. (1508 GMT) on Tuesday amid sub-freezing temperatures in the Gobi Desert in northwest China, according to state television.
Shenzhou-15 was the last of 11 missions, including three prior crewed missions, that began in April 2021 needed to assemble the "Celestial Palace," as the multi-module station is known in Chinese.
The trio will take over from the Shenzhou-14 crew who arrived in early June. The previous crew members are expected to return to Earth in early December after a one-week handover that will also establish the station's ability to temporarily sustain six astronauts, another record for China's space program.
The space outpost took on its current "T" shape in November with the arrival of the last of three cylindrical modules.
The station has a designed lifespan of at least a decade, with resident astronauts expected to conduct over 1,000 scientific experiments - from studying how plants adapt in space to how fluids behave in microgravity.
The "Celestial Palace" was the culmination of nearly two decades of Chinese crewed missions to space. China's manned space flights began in 2003 when a former fighter pilot, Yang Liwei, was sent into orbit in a small bronze-colored capsule, the Shenzhou-5, and became China's first man in space and an instant hero cheered by millions at home.
The space station was also an emblem of China's growing clout and confidence in its space endeavors and a challenger to the United States in the domain, after being isolated from the NASA-led ISS and banned by U.S. law from any collaboration, direct or indirect, with the U.S. space agency.
The Shenzhou-15 mission, during which its crew will live and work on the space station for six months, also offered the nation a rare moment to celebrate, at a time of widespread unhappiness over China's stifling zero-COVID policies while its economy hits the brakes amid uncertainties at home and abroad.
"Long live the motherland!" many Chinese netizens wrote on social media.
- 連鎖五金百貨撐不住？ 全台8店突「封館出清」東森新聞影音321,664 次觀看・1 天前
- 緣道觀音廟創辦人欠鉅額賭債 名下佛堂遭法拍民視影音30,831 次觀看・7 小時前
- 一分鐘報天氣 / 週一 (03/04) 強烈冷氣團減弱氣溫日漸回升 週三再有另一波變化Yahoo奇摩新聞（報氣象）1,104 次觀看・8 小時前
- 搶「換車潮」! 機車首創均一價「5萬有找」省2萬TVBS新聞網影音94,667 次觀看・2 天前
- 冬天要多吃高麗菜，教你懶人新吃法，加1個杏鮑菇，不燉不蒸煮，比紅燒肉香！芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV52,007 次觀看・5 天前
- 學測放榜！慈大附中成績亮眼大愛電視1,283 次觀看・14 小時前
- 海上小鋼砲! 沱江級軍艦首批量產艦3月底交艦民視影音1,408 次觀看・8 小時前
- 全球最美花海街道! 台南白河木棉花提早大爆發民視影音1,568 次觀看・1 天前
- 台南超佛牛肉麵只要60元 高雄雙主菜便當僅百元華視影音5,386 次觀看・1 天前
- 冷氣團發威！雪霸國家公園步道積雪結冰 「腳踝埋雪中」華視影音2,255 次觀看・1 天前
- 唐綺陽運勢 / 本週星座運勢：3/4~3/10 一周星象預報！雙魚能量強～多多參加社交活動，跟團出國也是好選擇！唐綺陽談星室65,877 次觀看・2 天前
- 慕尼黑皇室劇院能踩出雷聲？ 逛也逛不完！德國最大皇宮博物館Yahoo創作摩人32,267 次觀看・1 週前
- GOGO全新公告，取消3.8%現金回饋！超商/全聯回饋歸零！新增網購、航空、訂房通路，台新Point怎麼用/台電預繳取消/將來支付最新活動SHIN LI2,807 次觀看・5 天前
- 30 年前震驚全台的悲劇，如何催生〈家暴防治法〉？家暴法上路至今，為何家暴案不減反增？｜志祺七七志祺七七 X 圖文不符1,970 次觀看・1 天前
- 鈔票、聖經普及都歸功於唐朝？這場戰爭讓「造紙術」傳遍全世界！PanSci 科學新聞網2,240 次觀看・1 天前