A year after Kabul escape, family remains apart
STORY: Massouda Kohistani managed to get out of Kabul a year ago, desperately fleeing the Taliban.
A political analyst and women’s rights activist under the previous regime, she's now safe in the Spanish city of Salamanca.
But as this emotional call shows, her mother and more than a dozen other family members were forbidden to board the same military plane and were left behind on the tarmac. Reuters couldn't independently verify their story.
Attempts to bring them out later failed due to their lack of travel documents and funds.
For Kohistani, the guilt is crushing.
“I wish I could be by your side, but I can’t, until God opens a door for us.”
“What should I do? Where can I go?" her mother says, in Kabul.
Kohistani's sister says it was hard to let her go and live in a foreign country alone and they worry about her constantly.
“We have no regrets, because her life was in danger. Even Massouda herself said then that she would prefer suicide to being arrested by the Taliban.”
She and their mother say the Taliban conducts surprise searches of their home to check if Massouda has returned from Spain.
Besmullah Habib, deputy spokesperson for the Afghan Interior Ministry, denied the searches.
Thousands of Afghans fled the country in the chaotic days that followed the hardline Islamist Taliban's military conquest last August 15, though there are no precise numbers.
Habib said the Taliban had invited them all to return, and a special commission was set up to help that happen.
Kohistani has been jobless since she arrived in Spain, mainly because of the language barrier. A local NGO gives her money to pay rent and buy food.
She used to support the family, now she can't pay for her mother's medicine.
“I was the only one that played the role of a father and a mother to all my family members, because I worked hard, and I worked with a lot of international organisations, and I had good income than the rest of my family members. And currently, the most thing that makes me painful is the lack of education for my family members, even they do not have money to their bus fare.”
Kohistani is taking Spanish lessons and has applied for master’s degree in politics and human rights, which she hopes will allow her to get a related job and eventually bring the family over.
Despite her family's appeals, she never stops raising awareness about Afghanistan on social media and taking part in discussions and conferences.
“The message to the world is that please stand with Afghanistan women. Please do not recognise the terrorists in Afghanistan.”
Massouda says her refugee status has been confirmed, valid for five years.
Spain's Interior Ministry declined to comment on individual cases.
According to ministry data, almost 2,000 Afghans have sought asylum in the last year and just over 1,500 have been granted it so far.
- 尷尬！賴清德出席新創嘉年華遭二度嗆聲：爛人｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞161,616 次觀看・2 天前
- 楊丞琳甜合體老公參加潘瑋柏婚禮 李榮浩造型成亮點 一句話掀回憶殺娛樂星聞4,144 次觀看・11 小時前
- 小虎隊陳志朋被爆逃稅2億多 遭揭發用髒話辱罵員工 證據被公開!娛樂星聞2,823 次觀看・11 小時前
- 別再用油炒雞蛋，把雞蛋倒入熱水中，瞬間變成美食，比肉還香！素食料理芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV35,476 次觀看・5 天前
- 藍綠熱戰「邊緣柯」 民調賴41%.侯31%.柯25%華視影音81,299 次觀看・1 天前
- Ella帶爸爸遊日本這舉動陸網嚇傻 背後原因藏洋蔥網友嘆「真的管太寬」娛樂星聞12,343 次觀看・1 天前
- "傳動蓋未密合"吃罰單 騎士冤喊:原廠就長這樣民視影音90,743 次觀看・1 天前
- 豆腐這樣做一定不夠吃，加上1個杏鮑菇，簡單又快速，比飯店的還好吃！素食料理芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV53,751 次觀看・5 天前
- 傳新北立委估剩4席 卓榮泰：力拚現狀、維持過半｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞1,007 次觀看・1 天前
- 童遭拉扯下車重摔！ 親生母控嬸嬸非第一次動手華視影音74,420 次觀看・1 天前
- 精華｜這些星座什麼大風大浪都見過！射手故事多到可以出書！？唐綺陽談星室73,268 次觀看・1 週前
- 不用大老遠跑去台北逛唐吉軻德 台中分店開箱！10大必買超值商品Yahoo創作摩人30,638 次觀看・4 天前
- 行醫40年的中醫師的食療配方，教你顧脾胃保護腸道消化｜91歲阿嬤身體問題迎刃而解 Ft.胡乃文醫師 [送你營養吃]黃君聖Sunny營養師102,608 次觀看・1 週前
- 街頭訪問-你的夢想是什麼?你有夢想嗎!?雷達之星13,273 次觀看・2 週前
- 【超商火鍋】用火鍋湯底連吃好幾餐，鴛鴦鍋、麻辣排骨、壽喜燒燉煮、牛奶燉飯、簡單又滿足😌吃播/eating show★特盛吃貨艾嘉f.t煮時光特盛吃貨艾嘉10,814 次觀看・1 週前