Netanyahu softens judicial overhaul but showdown looms
STORY: Facing mounting mass protests inside of Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday said he would soften his controversial judicial overhaul plan. But the changes failed to satisfy an opposition that has organized a campaign against the government over the proposed reforms.
The plan would give the government more control of the appointment of judges and constrain the Supreme Court's ability to check the legislature or the executive.
Critics say the proposed overhaul would undermine the Supreme Court as an independent branch of government and erode the nation's democracy.
Netanyahu said that after discussing the crisis in a phone call with U.S. President Joe Biden, he would postpone most of the proposed changes apart from the planned shakeup in appointing judges, which he wants to see ratified before a parliament recess on April 2.
Recent changes to that bill would give opposition lawmakers some say in judicial appointments.
The prime minister presented these changes as an olive branch to his rivals. In a statement, Netanyahu said, he was “extending a hand to anyone who genuinely cares about national unity and the desire to reach an agreed accord."
Opposition leader Yair Lapid rejected the moves.
"The moment the change to the Judicial Appointments Committee passes, we will appeal against it at the Supreme Court. The base for the appeal will be simple: If this law passes, Israel stops being a democratic state. We will not allow this to happen. The liberal camp is simply unwilling to live in a non-democratic state. Hundreds of thousands of Israeli patriots will continue to take to the streets, we will continue to fight here at the Knesset, we will not allow this to happen."
Netanyahu says the changes will balance the branches of government. The Black Flags activist group says demonstrations that have already shaken the country and reached into its normally apolitical military would be intensified. It accused Netanyahu of attempting "to put the protest to sleep with pretty words."
Netanyahu also faced censure from his government coalition as at least one lawmaker called his changes “capitulation”.
- 美國男子大鬧航班 突開逃生出口跳上機翼 乘客嚇壞混亂當下全都錄Yahoo奇摩（國際通）5,911 次觀看・7 小時前
- 3年釀14死 英國禁養「特大號惡霸犬」收容所250隻恐遭安樂死 棄養潮湧現Yahoo奇摩（國際通）15,008 次觀看・13 小時前
- 張艾嘉32歲兒子宣佈結婚 與超模女友相戀六年結連理娛樂星聞40,697 次觀看・7 小時前
- 俄羅斯三寶母親宣布參選總統「不是每個俄國人都是普丁」籲改革、釋放政治犯Yahoo奇摩（國際通）11,438 次觀看・13 小時前
- 又搶BUG價! 8千多住房只要3千3 君悅全認賠TVBS新聞網影音2,370 次觀看・3 週前
- 吃完拉麵衛生紙"直接丟進碗裡" 日律師:恐有賠償責任民視影音246,251 次觀看・1 天前
- 邱澤夫婦遊巴黎被偶遇 許瑋甯白到發光美翻了娛樂星聞2,431 次觀看・7 小時前
- 為爭上億家產 婦夥同女兒持鐵鎚攻擊小姑華視影音20,518 次觀看・7 小時前
- 林志穎圓了兒子追星夢！ 把「男神」直接請到家裡緊緊抱著他娛樂星聞104,635 次觀看・1 天前
- 專訪嗆柯文哲沒政績 趙少康：「好笑」就可以當總統？民視影音3,603 次觀看・6 小時前
- 賴雅妍為揣摩偷情心境竟跟屈中恆取經！？屈哥大喊：「冤枉啊」Ep.195-1唐綺陽談星室39,164 次觀看・1 天前
- 不能說話！史上最安靜咖啡店在日本 冰紅茶怎麼點？看完讚嘆店員理解力Yahoo創作摩人8,603 次觀看・1 天前
- 【九粒Jolie x Voicetube Vclass】首次聯名企劃！必知英文回答！學起來保證去哪都有朋友！｜走跳江湖英文教室九粒Jolie5,767 次觀看・6 天前
- 盜壘屆的天花板！非我阿草莫屬！ 2023紅白棒球明星公益賽【含羞草日記】含羞草日記4,406 次觀看・3 天前
- 豆腐這樣做一定不夠吃，加上1個杏鮑菇，簡單又快速，比飯店的還好吃！素食料理芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV19,000 次觀看・1 天前