U.N. body rejects debate on China's treatment of Uyghur Muslims
STORY: In a rare move, the U.N. rights council on Thursday voted down a motion to hold a debate about alleged human rights abuses by China against Uyghurs and other Muslims in Xinjiang ..
the surprise victory for Beijing was met with a burst of applause after the result was announced in the packed Geneva-based council room...
The defeat is only the second time in the council's 16-year history that a motion has been rejected and is seen by observers as a setback to both the West's moral authority on human rights and the credibility of the United Nations itself.
The United States, Canada and Britain were among the countries that brought the motion.
U.S. ambassador Michele Taylor and UK ambassador Simon Manley both defended the need for scrutiny.
TAYLOR: “No country, no matter how powerful should be excluded from council discussion. This includes my country, the United States, and it includes the People’s Republic of China.”
MANLEY: “We are here to discuss the most serious human rights violations and abuses wherever and by whomever they are committed. There can be no doubt about the gravity and the scale of what is being reported in Xinjiang warrants such a debate,”
The U.N. rights office on Aug. 31 released a long-delayed report that found serious human rights violations in Xinjiang that may constitute crimes against humanity, ramping up pressure on China.
But China's envoy had warned before the vote that the motion would create a precedent for examining other countries' human rights records.
Chen Xu: "Today China is targeted. Tomorrow any other developing country will be targeted”
The motion is the first time that the rights record of China, a powerful permanent Security Council member, has been on the agenda of the Human rights council.
Rights groups accuse Beijing of abuses against Uyghurs, a mainly Muslim ethnic minority that numbers around 10 million in the western region of Xinjiang, including the mass use of forced labor in internment camps. The United States has accused China of genocide. Beijing vigorously denies any abuses.
In the end - 19 nations – including Qatar, Indonesia, the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan -- rejected the motion for debate. 17 voted for, and 11 abstained.
- 海地「緊急狀態」首都癱瘓 幫派頭目誓言推翻政府 最大監獄遭攻擊 數千囚犯逃亡Yahoo奇摩（國際通）9,012 次觀看・8 小時前
- 重返國會! 王世堅罵到拍桌.黃國昌狂噹官員TVBS新聞網影音298,720 次觀看・1 天前
- 蘋果被歐盟重罰630億元 iOS訂閱音樂比較貴 遭控濫用市場主導地位Yahoo奇摩（國際通）20,005 次觀看・8 小時前
- 《惡靈古堡5》重製版消息即將曝光！？Steam更新透露端倪？電玩宅速配5,685 次觀看・1 天前
- 國安少將熱吻「馬尾妹」是她！ 「尤鐿濂」國防部上校｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞3,863 次觀看・8 小時前
- 趁店員不注意... 火鍋吃到飽「偷打包」 店家報案華視影音35,829 次觀看・1 天前
- 海巡證實有雷達航跡圖！ 管碧玲堅定喊「無影片」｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞5,379 次觀看・8 小時前
- 霧社櫻王盛開 民眾騎5小時自行車上山賞櫻非凡新聞影音5,090 次觀看・5 小時前
- 噁! 兩女搭捷運遭潑不明液體 聞起來有酸臭味民視影音35,954 次觀看・9 小時前
- 嚇! 女模南港搭捷運 月台上遭潑不明液體TVBS新聞網影音11,805 次觀看・5 小時前
- 泰國芭達雅道地打拋豬哪裡找？ 沿路問「哭嘎拋」終於願望成真！Yahoo創作摩人54,888 次觀看・1 週前
- 提前特訓了一整個禮拜! 這次該我帥一波了吧! SUNSTAR公益明星棒球賽【含羞草日記】含羞草日記6,538 次觀看・1 週前
- 香港自由行｜排隊等兩小時就為了吃米其林一星的燒鵝！快凌晨還在排隊的米其林糖水！香港服務生臉都很臭？兩天兩夜美食行程！我是馬鈴薯小姐雁靈58,792 次觀看・1 週前
- 【爆球連發】" 超速連射!! " PIEX-135 黑暗飛龍號 開箱測試 ( ビーダマン B-Daman )雷達之星2,801 次觀看・1 週前
- 原來我家這麼多垃圾！2天「斷捨離」臥室、廚房、倉庫、客廳，像是搬進新家一樣江湖人稱S姐4,035 次觀看・1 週前