S&P snaps losing streak on jobless claims rise
STORY: The S&P 500 closed higher on Thursday, snapping a five-session losing streak...
Wall Street's main indexes had come under pressure in recent days on expectations of a longer rate-hike cycle and downbeat economic views from some top company executives.
But Thursday, a rise in weekly jobless claims was interpreted by investors as a sign the Fed could soon slow the pace of interest rate hikes.
The Dow closed up more than half a percent, the S&P gained three-quarters of a percent and the Nasdaq climbed more than 1.1%.
Sylvia Jablonski, CEO and chief investment officer of Defiance ETFs, expects stocks to be stuck in a tight trading range for now.
"Here we are again with a little bit of additional data showing us that there is weakness in the economy and perhaps inflation will come down for that reason. But I think overall markets are going to be directionless for some time. [FLASH] I think we'll have some pullbacks and then we'll have some pops off of those pullbacks. But they'll probably stay in a trading range because we need to get past the next earnings season. [FLASH] So I do think that there's not a whole lot to make of the day to day movements from here on in. I think it's going to be kind of sleepy couple of months, might get some rallies in between. But we have some, we have some time before we get to the point that the Fed just stops and that, you know, we start seeing that earnings were resilient enough for us to sort of move on up and start trending upward."
Among Thursday’s gainers, most mega-cap technology and growth stocks rose, such as Apple, Nvidia and Amazon.com.
The e-commerce giant made a bold move by announcing Thursday that it will roll out a TikTok-like feed on its app, hoping to attract new shoppers through a stream of photos and videos from their favorite influencers.
Amazon had weeks ago warned of a slow holiday season amid decades-high inflation.
In other tech news, Microsoft closed higher after the Federal Trade Commission filed a complaint aimed at blocking the tech giant's $69 billion bid to buy Activision Blizzard, maker of the popular "Call of Duty" games.
And in pharmaceutical stocks, Moderna advanced after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized COVID-19 shots from the vaccine maker that target both the original coronavirus and Omicron sub-variants for use in children as young as six months of age.
The FDA also approved similar guidance for fellow COVID vaccine maker Pfizer and its partner BioNTech, which both ended higher.
- 南韓擴招醫學生風暴擴大 全國逾6千實習、住院醫請辭 醫療前線陷危機Yahoo奇摩（國際通）44,390 次觀看・13 小時前
- CC字幕｜赴中旅遊禁團令再起 王國材批陸方沒誠意！給期限「6月底前沒回應就全面暫停」【齊有此理】齊有此理193,117 次觀看・19 小時前
- 一支穿雲箭！韓國瑜高喊「開會」 立委交戰速停火華視影音5,539 次觀看・12 小時前
- 不忍了! 看泰勒絲演唱會遭小粉紅出征 周杰倫IG發文反擊民視影音7,649 次觀看・1 天前
- 宇宙最亮「類星體」遭誤認為恆星數十年 亮度是太陽500兆倍「每天吞噬一個太陽」Yahoo奇摩（國際通）7,260 次觀看・13 小時前
- 「民歌」突拋震撼彈王中平加入就停辦！施孝榮心痛宣布最後一場時間娛樂星聞17,467 次觀看・2 天前
- 全球僅5架！空巴「大白鯨」現身桃機 航空迷搶拍華視影音1,835 次觀看・13 小時前
- 車銀優演唱會哭到唱不下去！ 「台下ASTRO隊友跟文秀雅也哭了」粉絲心疼：想到文彬...娛樂星聞6,800 次觀看・1 天前
- IC設計大廠處長爆婚外情 與採購同事當街擁吻｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞3,124 次觀看・1 天前
- 全球僅5架! 「空巴大白鯨」過境台灣航空迷搶拍民視影音8,408 次觀看・16 小時前
- 潤娥來台見面會惹出爭議！ 「工作人員態度不佳」主辦方道歉了娛樂星聞18,950 次觀看・2 天前
- 《和我老公結婚吧》到底多好看 人氣網漫翻拍！5大亮點讓你秒淪陷Yahoo創作摩人41,413 次觀看・2 週前
- 【爆球連發】" 鳳凰再進化!! " PIEX-129 超無敵鳳凰號 開箱測試 ( ビーダマン B-Daman )雷達之星6,254 次觀看・5 天前
- 【財閥X刑警】近期高評黑馬爽劇！ 安普賢人生劇預定？劇中偷藏《惡鬼》彩蛋？炫富式犯罪喜劇看了好紓壓！Ki笑人生25,702 次觀看・5 天前
- 龍年大爆買GUCCI、FENDI狂刷30萬！冬天必備大衣、可以偷看帥哥的墨鏡！？手刀結帳超美戰利品Sherry袁曼軒3,685 次觀看・5 天前