Africa in Business: from Harris to hydrogen
STORY: Here's what's been making the business headlines in sub-Saharan Africa this week.
1. U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris starts a week-long African trip at the weekend during which she will discuss the best ways for the international community to address debt challenges faces by Ghana and Zambia.
American officials said Harris - the latest senior U.S. figure to take part in a diplomatic charm offensive on the continent - would also discuss China's engagement in technology and economic issues in Africa that concern the United States.
2. Africa-focused oil and gas producer Savannah Energy said on Friday (March 24) that it will pursue all its legal rights after Chad's government moved to nationalize its upstream assets in the country.
In December, Exxon Mobil closed a sale to London-listed Savannah of its 40% stake in the Doba Oil Project, comprising seven producing oilfields, in a $407m deal - but the Chadian government challenged the agreement.
3. Kenya's government is close to approving a restructuring plan for Kenya Airways, its CEO has said.
That plan replaces one introduced by the previous administration under President Uhuru Kenyatta, which would eventually have seen the state take over $800 million of the airline's debt.
Kenyatta's successor William Ruto has said he will cut borrowing and called into question the government's participation in Kenya Airways.
4. South African lender Absa Group said on Friday that it's aiming for net zero by 2050 by curtailing lending to coal, oil and gas projects and increasing its exposure to renewables.
South African banks - among the biggest on the continent - have come under fire from activists and environmentalists for continuing to fund fossil fuel projects, in contrast with many of their global peers.
5. And finally, France's HDF Energy is to develop Zimbabwe's first green hydrogen power plant, it said in a joint statement with the country's state-owned electricity distributor on Thursday (March 23).
The countries signed a memorandum of understanding, worth £300m, for the plant which will use renewable energy to produce hydrogen with the aim of providing electricity for 220,000 people.
- 【CC字幕】「侯康配」形象照神似國父蔣公照 蕭美琴笑：他們開心就好 我比較想往前走【齊有此理】齊有此理447,860 次觀看・6 天前
- 金正恩哭了 憂心北韓少子化 落淚鼓勵婦女多生孩子Yahoo奇摩（國際通）12,563 次觀看・8 小時前
- 82國青少年大調查：數學、閱讀能力狂降 四分之一不會基本算數Yahoo奇摩（國際通）6,661 次觀看・11 小時前
- 吳欣盈比利時夫貴族出身 任能源集團主管年薪超狂東森新聞影音22,536 次觀看・7 小時前
- 79歲老戲骨拍戲拒絕用替身 滾下山崖全身被割傷超敬業娛樂星聞4,083 次觀看・13 小時前
- 兩便當無肉375元 業者稱「山苦瓜、香菇 山上來的」東森新聞影音17,686 次觀看・7 小時前
- 五月天被爆假唱 鑒定結果曝光！ 兩派吵翻天「五月天退票」衝熱搜娛樂星聞117,266 次觀看・3 天前
- 林襄親還原「趙少康貼太緊」內幕 蔡尚樺爆秘戀林秉聖！錢姐洩兩人關係喊祝福娛樂星聞41,572 次觀看・1 天前
- 不友善！父揹孩下公車「無人讓刷卡.司機秒發車險摔」華視影音186,471 次觀看・1 天前
- 罹癌女子生前勸「票投民進黨」 弟弟：一定遵守約定民視影音30,721 次觀看・13 小時前