Stocks notch weekly gains as Fed meeting looms
STORY: U.S. stocks ended higher on Friday after a choppy session and a rocky week, as economic data and corporate earnings guidance both hinted at softening demand but also a resilient economy.
The Dow closed up but essentially unchanged. The S&P 500 gained a quarter of a percent, while the Nasdaq added nearly a full percent, as the tech-heavy index notched its fourth straight weekly advance.
The Commerce Department's hotly anticipated personal consumption expenditures report or PCE, the Federal Reserve's preferred inflation gauge, indicated cooling inflation - exactly what the central bank's interest rate hikes are intended to accomplish.
Ken Moraif, founder and CEO of Retirement Planners of America, called it another good sign ahead of next week's Fed policy meeting.
"I think that the economy is showing resilience. Inflation is probably going to start coming down here for the next few months. And so the combination of that is alleviating the fears that people have that the Fed is going to have to raise interest rates so high that they cause a bad recession. So it's starting to look more and more like maybe that soft landing could happen after all. You also have Europe where the winter that everybody thought was going to come, turns out was a lot warmer. They're our biggest trading partner, profits come from that. And if they don't have a massive recession, our companies should do better. So the picture is starting to look a lot better than all the doom and gloom that we were thinking a few months ago."
On the earnings front, credit card giant American Express jumped 10.5% on consensus-beating results and an upbeat forecast.
Rival Visa also reported better-than-expected quarterly results, easing worries of waning consumer demand, sending its shares up 3%.
Shares of Intel fell more than 6% after the chipmaker provided dismal earnings projections that were short of Wall Street estimates by about $3 billion.
Shares of Chevron fell more than 4% after the oil giant posted record 2022 profit, but its fourth quarter earnings fell short of expectations.
Next week, a raft of high profile earnings reports are expected, notably from Apple, Amazon, Alphabet and Meta Platforms, which will test a recent bounce for tech and mega-cap stocks.
- 美國男子大鬧航班 突開逃生出口跳上機翼 乘客嚇壞混亂當下全都錄Yahoo奇摩（國際通）9,050 次觀看・13 小時前
- 邱澤夫婦遊巴黎被偶遇 許瑋甯白到發光美翻了娛樂星聞3,340 次觀看・12 小時前
- 科索沃動物保護區降初雪 獅子超困惑全都錄 棕熊懶冬眠外出遊蕩狂吃Yahoo奇摩（國際通）5,033 次觀看・13 小時前
- 張艾嘉32歲兒子宣佈結婚 與超模女友相戀六年結連理娛樂星聞49,353 次觀看・12 小時前
- 【獨家】柯文哲口中兩億掮客曝光！ 傳一名余姓華僑遊說｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞710 次觀看・12 小時前
- 主持壓力太大! LuLu金馬後台癱軟 主演「此時此刻」前超不安TVBS新聞網影音1,378 次觀看・11 小時前
- 高圓圓騎單車接女兒放學 母女倆同框互動溫馨有愛娛樂星聞8,178 次觀看・12 小時前
- 貴婦汽車美容遭勒百萬 技師偷看個資恐嚇開槍華視影音23,947 次觀看・12 小時前
- 豆腐自從知道可以這樣煮，我家1週吃3次，挑食的孩子也搶著吃，香！vegan 素食料理芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV36,343 次觀看・5 天前
- 扯！開名車停車不繳費 擦撞消防栓還要業者賠東森新聞影音3,581 次觀看・1 年前
- 賴雅妍為揣摩偷情心境竟跟屈中恆取經！？屈哥大喊：「冤枉啊」Ep.195-1唐綺陽談星室39,273 次觀看・1 天前
- 不能說話！史上最安靜咖啡店在日本 冰紅茶怎麼點？看完讚嘆店員理解力Yahoo創作摩人8,653 次觀看・1 天前
- 【九粒Jolie x Voicetube Vclass】首次聯名企劃！必知英文回答！學起來保證去哪都有朋友！｜走跳江湖英文教室九粒Jolie5,804 次觀看・6 天前
- 盜壘屆的天花板！非我阿草莫屬！ 2023紅白棒球明星公益賽【含羞草日記】含羞草日記4,432 次觀看・3 天前
- 豆腐這樣做一定不夠吃，加上1個杏鮑菇，簡單又快速，比飯店的還好吃！素食料理芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV19,262 次觀看・1 天前