Two Chinese cities ease COVID curbs after protests
STORY: Protesters clashed with police in the Chinese city of Guangzhou on Tuesday night.
These videos obtained from social media show people throwing objects at the police.
On the other side, dozens of riot police in all-white pandemic gear hold shields over their heads.
Guangzhou is a sprawling port city north of Hong Kong in Guangdong province.
In videos that seemed to show earlier in the day, people were seen gathering around barricades in the manufacturing hub.
Reuters could verify the videos were filmed in Guangzhou,
but could not verify the sequence of events nor what sparked the clashes.
However, scenes of protest have become common across China over the past few days,
as anger about strict COVID-19 rules - three years into the pandemic - appears to be boiling over onto the streets.
National health officials said on Tuesday that China would respond to the:
"urgent concerns" raised by the public and that rules would be implemented more flexibly.
Hours later, officials in Guangzhou said they would allow close contacts of COVID cases to quarantine at home.
Meanwhile, in Zhengzhou - home to a Foxconn factory making Apple iPhones that has also seen COVID protests-
- officials announced the "orderly" resumption of businesses, including supermarkets, gyms and restaurants.
Some elderly residents on the streets of Shanghai expressed fear about the easing of restrictions.
“I will be pretty worried (if curbs are eased). Especially for the elderly who haven’t been vaccinated. And if it opens up, it will be more troublesome for the elderly to get this disease. Now the state is still providing vaccines, so protect yourself. The state cares about you, so it will get better. If the elderly doesn’t get vaccinated, they will be quite worried."
While the easing of some measures appear to be an attempt to appease the public, authorities have also begun to seek out those who have been at recent protests.
A Beijing resident told Reuters on Wednesday that police had come to their home and got them to complete a written record.
Another resident said some friends who posted videos of protests on social media were taken to a police station and asked to sign a promise they "would not do that again".
Beijing's Public Security Bureau did not comment.
In a statement that did not refer to the protests,
the Communist Party's top body in charge of law enforcement agencies said that China would crack down on:
"the infiltration and sabotage activities of hostile forces".
The wave of civil disobedience is unprecedented in mainland China since President Xi Jinping assumed power a decade ago.
- 重返國會! 王世堅罵到拍桌.黃國昌狂噹官員TVBS新聞網影音238,436 次觀看・20 小時前
- 南韓政府強硬回擊 開始吊銷7000罷工醫師執照 稱「嚴正處理」核心人物Yahoo奇摩（國際通）74,947 次觀看・23 小時前
- 《惡靈古堡5》重製版消息即將曝光！？Steam更新透露端倪？電玩宅速配4,706 次觀看・23 小時前
- 趁店員不注意... 火鍋吃到飽「偷打包」 店家報案華視影音26,390 次觀看・21 小時前
- 台積電威力! 血拚式買屋 橋頭新市鎮500戶銷售一空TVBS新聞網影音137,771 次觀看・20 小時前
- 「3塊鴨肉+白飯」130元挨批貴 業者喊冤：拿證明華視影音43,052 次觀看・21 小時前
- 回歸立院首秀！王世堅質詢財委會罵到拍桌民視影音3,152 次觀看・16 小時前
- 蜘蛛人：穿越新宇宙 (英配版預告) | 電影預告Yahoo奇摩電影戲劇（預告片）10,472 次觀看・1 天前
- 張洪量愛妻換肝後逝世 醫師證實"產生急性排斥"民視影音14,166 次觀看・20 小時前
- 浮誇美食！台中「爆丼.50顆蛤蠣麵.巨無霸麵線」吸睛華視影音26,465 次觀看・20 小時前
- 泰國芭達雅道地打拋豬哪裡找？ 沿路問「哭嘎拋」終於願望成真！Yahoo創作摩人51,224 次觀看・1 週前
- 提前特訓了一整個禮拜! 這次該我帥一波了吧! SUNSTAR公益明星棒球賽【含羞草日記】含羞草日記4,280 次觀看・1 週前
- 香港自由行｜排隊等兩小時就為了吃米其林一星的燒鵝！快凌晨還在排隊的米其林糖水！香港服務生臉都很臭？兩天兩夜美食行程！我是馬鈴薯小姐雁靈56,820 次觀看・1 週前
- 【爆球連發】" 超速連射!! " PIEX-135 黑暗飛龍號 開箱測試 ( ビーダマン B-Daman )雷達之星1,714 次觀看・1 週前
- 原來我家這麼多垃圾！2天「斷捨離」臥室、廚房、倉庫、客廳，像是搬進新家一樣江湖人稱S姐3,052 次觀看・1 週前