Student cycles across Africa for place at university
STORY: Guinean student Mamadou Safaiou Barry cycled thousands of miles across Africa for a place at the top Islamic university in Cairo.
It all started with a dream to study at Al-Azhar University, one of the world's oldest and most renowned Sunni Muslim learning institutions.
But he was unable to afford a flight to Egypt from Guinea.
So he drew a map of Africa in his notebook and set off on a second-hand mountain bike.
Four months and seven countries later, he is in Cairo with a full scholarship to the elite university.
"If you have a dream, all that you have to do to follow this dream [is] to go on its way, because that's what will help you. Not to say that, 'Today I'm doing this, tomorrow this.' No, you will never see a good road. But if you have a dream, rest on it and be strong on it, if you are on it, God will help you.”
Barry covered approximately 62 miles each day, passing through jungles, deserts and conflict zones.
He pedalled through Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin and Niger before stalling in N'Djamena, the Chadian capital.
His planned route was disrupted by an ongoing conflict in Sudan.
He said he had already been detained three times - twice in insurgency-plagued Burkina Faso, and once in Togo, where security forces held him for nine days without charge before releasing him in exchange for $56.
He said that was his entire savings for the remainder of the journey.
"I got tired on the bike and I often slept in the bushes, because in the cities I was a little afraid of people. Maybe if I slept in the city some thugs would come and take my bike and hurt me. So I really preferred to spend the night in the bush rather than in the cities."
Barry's luck changed again in Chad after a local philanthropist, who had read online about his journey, offered to fly him directly to Egypt and bypass the fighting in Sudan.
Barry arrived in Cairo on September 5th and days later secured a full scholarship to Al-Azhar.
He intends to return to Guinea when his studies are complete, to spread the faith that has taken him so far.
“I dream after that to be one of the biggest scholars in the world, the biggest Islamic scholar in the world.// And when I return to my country, I would like to be someone who teaches Islam and tells people how to do good things, to teach them."
- Jennie踩20公分高跟鞋超怕摔倒 上舞台「超緩慢動作」逗樂粉絲娛樂星聞22,181 次觀看・12 小時前
- 俄羅斯高院裁決LGBTQ為「極端分子」即刻禁止境內活動 活動人士憂遭起訴逮捕Yahoo奇摩（國際通）8,484 次觀看・11 小時前
- 童遭拉扯下車重摔！ 親生母控嬸嬸非第一次動手華視影音60,890 次觀看・9 小時前
- 楊繡惠被美國人認成楊紫瓊！ 「何時去領奧斯卡獎」竟連爸爸都這樣說娛樂星聞4,039 次觀看・12 小時前
- 尷尬！賴清德出席新創嘉年華遭二度嗆聲：爛人｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞70,430 次觀看・1 天前
- 柯文哲遭邊緣化 學者預測2024票數：賴蕭配最少617萬票，侯康配最多612萬票！風向台灣96,226 次觀看・7 小時前
- "傳動蓋未密合"吃罰單 騎士冤喊:原廠就長這樣民視影音75,423 次觀看・1 天前
- 賴清德阻韓當立法院長 韓國瑜讚侯:五官開TVBS新聞網影音852 次觀看・7 小時前
- 姑嫂爭產陳莉婷家大業大？ 友人：早期做紡織廠華視影音156,881 次觀看・2 天前
- 印尼雅加達空污居民苦 發電廠陰影下生活30年 孩童罹結核病 肺炎病患翻倍Yahoo奇摩（國際通）10,955 次觀看・11 小時前
- 精華｜這些星座什麼大風大浪都見過！射手故事多到可以出書！？唐綺陽談星室67,888 次觀看・1 週前
- 不用大老遠跑去台北逛唐吉軻德 台中分店開箱！10大必買超值商品Yahoo創作摩人26,448 次觀看・4 天前
- 行醫40年的中醫師的食療配方，教你顧脾胃保護腸道消化｜91歲阿嬤身體問題迎刃而解 Ft.胡乃文醫師 [送你營養吃]黃君聖Sunny營養師99,074 次觀看・1 週前
- 街頭訪問-你的夢想是什麼?你有夢想嗎!?雷達之星11,028 次觀看・1 週前
- 【超商火鍋】用火鍋湯底連吃好幾餐，鴛鴦鍋、麻辣排骨、壽喜燒燉煮、牛奶燉飯、簡單又滿足😌吃播/eating show★特盛吃貨艾嘉f.t煮時光特盛吃貨艾嘉9,018 次觀看・1 週前