Shared intel informed Trudeau's India claim -CTV
STORY: Amid an intensifying diplomatic standoff between India and Canada, the U.S. Ambassador to Canada confirmed that "shared intelligence" had informed Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the possible involvement of Indian government agents in the murder of a Canadian citizen.
That's according to a CTV News interview to be aired on Sunday with U.S. Ambassador David Cohen, who said the intelligence came from the Five Eyes network which includes the U.S., Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
Cohen told CTV News: "There was a lot of communication between Canada and the United States about this, and I think that's as far as I'm comfortable going."
Tensions between India and Canada escalated after Trudeau said there were "credible allegations" linking Indian government agents to the murder of Sikh separatist leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Vancouver, prompting an angry reaction from India, which denies the allegation.
Nijjar, who was shot dead outside a Sikh temple in June, had been campaigning for the creation of an independent Sikh homeland called "Khalistan." India had designated him as a "terrorist."
The two countries have since announced tit-for-tat expulsions of senior diplomats as well as tit-for-tat travel advisories, and India has suspended new visas for Canadians.
Kugelman: "There was no way that India was just going to sit on its hands after these explosive allegations."
Michael Kugelman is the director of the South Asia Institute at the Wilson Center.
"Of course the best way to resolve it, the most ideal way - which is probably the least likely way to resolve it - is for India to agree to cooperate with Canada in Canada's investigation of this assassination. That has been Canada's core consistent demand from day one. But you know, India has, as I understand it, not been willing to do so. Whether that's because it feels it has something to hide? Or it doesn't trust Canada or what we don't know."
On Friday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken urged India to work with Canada on the investigation into possible involvement of Indian government agents in Nijjar's murder.
"From our perspective, it is critical that the Canadian investigation proceed. And it would be important that India work with the Canadians on this investigation. We want to see accountability. And it's important that the investigation run its course and lead to that result."
Blinken is the most senior U.S. official to have commented on the diplomatic dispute.
The U.S. and other traditional Canadian allies have so far taken a cautious approach to the matter, as political experts said this was partly because the U.S. and other major players see India as a counterweight to the growing influence of China.
- 連鎖五金百貨撐不住？ 全台8店突「封館出清」東森新聞影音284,627 次觀看・1 天前
- 搶「換車潮」! 機車首創均一價「5萬有找」省2萬TVBS新聞網影音81,088 次觀看・1 天前
- 台南超佛牛肉麵只要60元 高雄雙主菜便當僅百元華視影音4,963 次觀看・23 小時前
- 冬天要多吃高麗菜，教你懶人新吃法，加1個杏鮑菇，不燉不蒸煮，比紅燒肉香！芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV51,732 次觀看・5 天前
- 學測放榜！慈大附中成績亮眼大愛電視964 次觀看・10 小時前
- 全球最美花海街道! 台南白河木棉花提早大爆發民視影音1,272 次觀看・23 小時前
- 一分鐘報天氣 / 週一 (03/04) 強烈冷氣團減弱氣溫日漸回升 週三再有另一波變化Yahoo奇摩新聞（報氣象）783 次觀看・4 小時前
- 冷氣團發威！雪霸國家公園步道積雪結冰 「腳踝埋雪中」華視影音2,033 次觀看・1 天前
- 海上小鋼砲! 沱江級軍艦首批量產艦3月底交艦民視影音1,008 次觀看・5 小時前
- 大谷翔平的神秘老婆被瘋傳是她！ 本人出面親揭真相娛樂星聞7,709 次觀看・1 天前
- 唐綺陽運勢 / 本週星座運勢：3/4~3/10 一周星象預報！雙魚能量強～多多參加社交活動，跟團出國也是好選擇！唐綺陽談星室64,055 次觀看・2 天前
- 慕尼黑皇室劇院能踩出雷聲？ 逛也逛不完！德國最大皇宮博物館Yahoo創作摩人31,234 次觀看・1 週前
- GOGO全新公告，取消3.8%現金回饋！超商/全聯回饋歸零！新增網購、航空、訂房通路，台新Point怎麼用/台電預繳取消/將來支付最新活動SHIN LI2,094 次觀看・5 天前
- 30 年前震驚全台的悲劇，如何催生〈家暴防治法〉？家暴法上路至今，為何家暴案不減反增？｜志祺七七志祺七七 X 圖文不符1,333 次觀看・1 天前
- 鈔票、聖經普及都歸功於唐朝？這場戰爭讓「造紙術」傳遍全世界！PanSci 科學新聞網1,681 次觀看・1 天前