Use of tear gas probed in Indonesia soccer tragedy
STORY: Indonesian police wrongly used tear gas inside a soccer stadium to disperse rioting fans, according to an internal oversight official with the National Police Commission.
Police, experts and spectators - along with video footage - suggest Saturday's tragedy, which killed at least 125 people, was caused by a number of factors.
They include tear gas, an overcrowded stadium, angry fans of the losing home team, and locked exits.
The official said there were no orders to use tear gas on the crowd, and that it was unclear why some exits had been locked.
Arema FC supporter Ahmad Nizar Habibi spoke to Reuters:
"Why are we sacrificing supporters? Forgive me, but if it were just hits or being chased down by batons or being kicked, we can run away, we can find cover. But with this gas, what were we supposed to do? In a stadium that's enclosed, no open doors, tear gas came straight to fellow supporters. Was that supposed to be done?"
Spectators said several of the exit gates were locked, causing bottlenecks as fans tried to flee.
Yusuf Kurniawan is a football commentator in Indonesia.
"The most fatal mistake was deploying tear gas and causing panic because it floated up into the stands affecting even those who didn't even go down (to the field). People panicked and they were suffocated as they struggled to find the exits which were locked, and that's where chaos happened and people died."
Football's world governing body FIFA bans the use of "crowd control gas" and weapons at matches.
Police have said the decision to deploy it is one of the issues being investigated.
With the country in mourning and seeking answers, the spotlight may be on the police but experts say the true picture is more complicated.
Football hooliganism and violence is not new in Indonesia.
To pre-empt risks, the police had banned fans from the rival Persebaya Surabaya side from attending.
And asked for the match to be held during the day, when policing is easier, according to private football watchdog Save our Soccer (SOS).
But SOS also said organizers printed 42,000 tickets for a stadium designed to hold only 38,000.
"We cannot only blame the police. These are collective mistakes," SOS said.
A spokesperson from Arema FC was not immediately available for comment.
Indonesia's soccer federation has banned two club officials for life over the chaos.
Spokespeople for the national and East Java police declined to answer questions on the security measures, but on Monday, 10 officers were suspended pending an investigation.
- 緣道觀音廟創辦人欠鉅額賭債 名下佛堂遭法拍民視影音116,672 次觀看・1 天前
- 17歲騎士無照雙載遭撞亡！ 轎車駕駛酒駕又闖燈華視影音4,691 次觀看・21 小時前
- 機車誤闖國道! 不只是贓車 騎士是逃逸六年印尼移工民視影音90,121 次觀看・2 天前
- 杉林溪「櫻花河道」美 75歲婦疑拍照 不慎失足落水東森新聞影音14,086 次觀看・19 小時前
- 孩子送托較自己帶"補助多3.6倍" 全職媽媽怨不公民視影音40,938 次觀看・8 小時前
- 慶餘年2 (前導預告) | 戲劇預告Yahoo奇摩電影戲劇（預告片）8,308 次觀看・21 小時前
- IU演唱會李鍾碩也來了！ 「手上揮著應援棒」包緊緊現身力挺女友娛樂星聞32,771 次觀看・1 天前
- 林俊傑在機場被粉絲追著要簽名 「筆漏水甩到全身」要價9萬的背心毀了娛樂星聞16,911 次觀看・4 天前
- 連鎖五金百貨撐不住？ 全台8店突「封館出清」東森新聞影音334,735 次觀看・2 天前
- 台中「白玫瑰命案」殺人犯假釋 狂追觀護人再判刑東森新聞影音35,643 次觀看・19 小時前
- 精華｜兄弟比另一半還重要！？這四個星座最看重兄弟情誼！唐綺陽談星室29,635 次觀看・4 天前
- 4月前都能衝！印象派經典作品這裡看 莫內的日出、梵谷的星空在華山重現Yahoo創作摩人36,399 次觀看・1 週前
- 國泰CUBE卡全新公告！國內10%/國外3.5%無上限/全支付消費30%/遠銀Bankee設定eACH轉帳120元/台新信用卡限時首刷SHIN LI4,900 次觀看・6 天前
- 釜山海景第一排看海景吃燒肉！板橋Edenx食旅19,997 次觀看・4 天前
- 豆腐直接包在飯裡厲害了，很多人都不知道這種吃法，加上高麗菜，一上桌就搶光！芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV36,084 次觀看・6 天前