An exhibition displaying the destroyed remains of Russian military equipment was opened at Mykhailivska Square in central Kyiv on Saturday, May 28, by Ukraine’s defense minister, Oleksii Reznikov, and internal affairs minister, Denys Monastyrskyi.
In a press release, the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) said most of the equipment was brought in from Kyiv’s suburbs, having been used during the Battle of Kyiv, after officials noticed that large numbers of people would stop to observe destroyed military vehicles.
Monastyrskyi said the exhibit showed the “heroism and courage” of Ukrainian forces who had repelled Russian attacks. Reznikov said it also served as a reminder that the war was still in its “hot phase”, with ongoing fighting in Donetsk and Kharkiv.
Speaking to press at the opening of the exhibit, Reznikov also commented on the course of war crimes investigations, saying about 20,000 war crimes had been reported by law enforcement agencies in the country.
Reznikov said most suspects would be tried in abstentia, and would include Russian soldiers identified from lists of military units that fought in Kyiv, Sumy, Chernihiv, Kharkiv regions. He said video footage and witness testimony would bolster cases, and that evidence would be presented to both Ukrainian and international courts Credit: MIA Ukraine via Storyful