The Chinese surveillance balloon that was shot down off the coast of South Carolina over the weekend was part of a larger surveillance program that operated “for several years,” the Pentagon said on Wednesday, February 8.
In a press briefing, Pentagon press secretary Pat Ryder said officials were aware of four previous spy balloons that had gone over US territory.
Ryder said in some cases these balloons had not been identified at the time but subsequent intelligence analysis indicated that they were Chinese balloons.
“This last week provided the United States with a unique opportunity to learn a lot more about the Chinese surveillance balloon program,” Ryder said. “All information that will help us to continue to strengthen our ability to track these kinds of objects.” Credit: Department of Defense via Storyful