Azerbaijan, ethnic Armenians meet after Karabakh ceasefire
STORY: Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenians began talks on Nagorno-Karabakh on Thursday (September 21).
The meeting comes after the breakaway region was forced into a surrender that has stoked calls for the resignation of Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan.
The ethnic Armenian leadership said key details, including the surrender of weapons, still needed to be worked out.
While officials from both sides sat at a small round table in the Azerbaijani city of Yevlakh, ethnic Armenian officials said there had been gunfire around 60 miles away in Karabakh's main city, a claim also made by Reuters sources.
Ethnic Armenians call Karabakh's main city "Stepanakert", while Azeris call it "Khankendi".
Karabakh authorities have accused Azerbaijani forces of violating the ceasefire and advised residents to stay indoors.
Pashinyan addressed citizens on national independence day.
"Peace is an environment that is free from conflicts, inter-state, inter-ethnic conflicts. This path is not easy, it goes through external and internal shocks, and we must go through this path for the sake of independence, for the sake of statehood, for the sake of the future."
He made no direct reference to Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said on Wednesday (September 20) his "iron fist" had consigned the idea of a separate ethnic Armenian Karabakh to history.
Karabakh Armenians say they had no choice but to accept Azerbaijan's terms, after Aliyev's army broke through their lines in a 24-hour offensive.
Baku's defense ministry said the report that its forces had attacked Khankendi was "completely false".
Under the ceasefire agreement, as outlined by Azerbaijan, breakaway Armenian forces must disband and disarm.
And the region of 120,000 people must be fully integrated into Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan's rapid victory represented the culmination of decades of struggle to regain control of Karabakh.
The ethnic Armenian population there broke away in a major war in the 1990s that coincided with the collapse of the Soviet Union.
On Wednesday, Aliyev said he wished to turn the Karabakh region into "paradise."
He added that Karabakh's Armenians would now have their religious and cultural rights respected.
But, nevertheless, thousands of ethnic Armenians massed at Stepanakert's airport, while others took shelter with Russian peacekeepers.
Azerbaijan's victory is yet another twist to the tumultuous history of mountainous Nagorno-Karabakh.
Known as Artsakh by Armenians, the territory is internationally recognized as part of mainly Muslim Azerbaijan, but its ethnic Armenian inhabitants are Christians.
- 嘉義海線大老嫁女兒！ 婚禮排場大 政界賓客引關注華視影音239,369 次觀看・11 小時前
- 嘉義聞人林水樹"嫁女兒 席開5百桌放煙火秀民視影音16,925 次觀看・10 小時前
- 悚! 壽山小獼猴嬉戲掉入非洲獅區 成為母獅獵物TVBS新聞網影音5,025 次觀看・1 天前
- 2023電競星光大賞Yahoo奇摩電競LIVE618 次觀看・3 天前
- 一分鐘報天氣/週二(12/05日) 週二水氣短暫減少週三再增多Yahoo奇摩新聞（報氣象）1,051 次觀看・6 小時前
- 全球每年10億條廢輪胎 拚華麗變身電動車電池 智利新創造循環經濟Yahoo奇摩（國際通）104,824 次觀看・5 天前
- 侯友宜嗆重啟特偵組 蔡英文反批「馬王政爭」釀憲政危機｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞2,135 次觀看・8 小時前
- 一直被嚇到！物流員卸貨用摔的 巨大聲響住戶難忍東森新聞影音4,010 次觀看・8 小時前
- 走斑馬線回家 78歲男疑「闖紅燈｣遭撞亡TVBS新聞網影音1,195 次觀看・8 小時前
- 這地區最冷!新北淡水奪冠 1月平均15度TVBS新聞網影音1,578 次觀看・8 小時前
- 林襄自曝砸了近百萬做微整 女記者現場驗E奶認證「原廠的」娛樂星聞23,746 次觀看・4 天前
- 會噴水的京都漢堡排你吃過嗎？ 肉汁爆發！這餐廳連當地人也搶著排Yahoo創作摩人7,529 次觀看・4 天前
- 易起吃飯吧｜椒鹽中卷Lee Yi李易35,689 次觀看・1 個月前
- 學霸直言：這種場面我也無法！｜老師面前大曝光！？女生褲子流血時... 搭上陌生人的車？一堆無法解決的事！｜Host.立淳、芭比｜【鬧編出任務 EP.241】Koobii鬧大學5,277 次觀看・1 個月前
- 粉絲、網紅都是共犯！「底層網紅」的詐騙產業鏈是如何形成的？《七七說書》EP 053｜志祺七七志祺七七 X 圖文不符3,180 次觀看・3 天前