S. Africa's Eskom pollutes more amid power crisis
STORY: South Africa's Eskom has been polluting more as it pushes ageing coal-fired facilities to their limits amid a power crisis.
That's according to a Reuters analysis of the state utility's data.
It showed that four out of its 15 power plants are breaching government emissions regulations designed to protect people's health.
Eskom officials have confirmed the violations but said making the plants compliant would take time.
They also said it could undermine efforts to address South Africa's worst power crisis on record.
For the past 18 months, daily scheduled blackouts have left most South Africans without power for up to ten hours a day.
Some 80% of South Africa's electricity is generated from burning coal.
But, over the past four decades Eskom has achieved a 75% reduction in emissions of particulate matter - that's largely ash and soot - through a program of plant upgrades.
Now that trend is being reversed.
With power cuts expected to knock two percentage points off economic growth this year, Eskom's senior environment manager Deidre Herbst said plants were having to be run harder, with upgrades delayed.
"There is sometimes a trade-off made," she said.
Company-wide, Eskom's particulate emissions last year were at their worst levels since the early 1990s, according to an internal Eskom presentation.
The four power plants breaching regulations - Matimba, Matla, Kendal, and Kriel - account for more than a third of Eskom's total capacity.
But two were emitting more than double the permitted limit of particulate matter in February, the most recent month of available data.
The 35-year-old Kendal power station emitted an average of between 10 and 30-times the permissible limit.
And it is the poor who are put most at risk.
Three of the four violating facilities are located in the Mpumalanga province coal belt.
It is among South Africa's poorest regions, with nearly half the workforce unemployed.
An unpublished government study found that more than 5,000 have died there annually due to the government's failure to fully enforce its own air quality standards.
The environment ministry did not respond to Reuters questions about the violations.
Thomas Mnguni, a Mpumalanga community activist, said poor communities living near Eskom plants and coal mines were hit the hardest.
"We will not accept the thinking," he said, "That because of loadshedding, Eskom can pollute as much as they want."
- 台積電威力! 血拚式買屋 橋頭新市鎮500戶銷售一空TVBS新聞網影音130,971 次觀看・11 小時前
- 張洪量愛妻換肝後逝世 醫師證實"產生急性排斥"民視影音12,162 次觀看・12 小時前
- 南韓政府強硬回擊 開始吊銷7000罷工醫師執照 稱「嚴正處理」核心人物Yahoo奇摩（國際通）14,280 次觀看・15 小時前
- 重返國會! 王世堅罵到拍桌.黃國昌狂噹官員TVBS新聞網影音61,979 次觀看・11 小時前
- 張員瑛再現殺人行程！台灣唱完秒飛巴黎 被捕捉「機場敷面膜」粉批公司：超扯娛樂星聞7,735 次觀看・13 小時前
- 蜘蛛人：穿越新宇宙 (英配版預告) | 電影預告Yahoo奇摩電影戲劇（預告片）7,000 次觀看・20 小時前
- 亞洲首富、印度「信實集團」主席兒大婚 喜邀1200人連辦3天派對 祖克柏、比爾蓋茲座上賓 蕾哈娜獻唱Yahoo奇摩（國際通）70,069 次觀看・20 小時前
- 國民黨團"甲級動員" 曝光管碧玲傳訊高金素梅民視影音3,669 次觀看・17 小時前
- 連鎖五金百貨撐不住？ 全台8店突「封館出清」東森新聞影音336,848 次觀看・3 天前
- 貧富兩極化 小資族選廉價航空 位子擠到逃生口 航空公司推高級座位 機場貴賓室竟不夠賣 窮遊vs.富遊 航空公司兵分兩路拓展業務｜全球聊天室 #鏡新聞鏡新聞2,407 次觀看・1 天前
- 精華｜兄弟比另一半還重要！？這四個星座最看重兄弟情誼！唐綺陽談星室34,626 次觀看・4 天前
- 4月前都能衝！印象派經典作品這裡看 莫內的日出、梵谷的星空在華山重現Yahoo創作摩人40,236 次觀看・1 週前
- 國泰CUBE卡全新公告！國內10%/國外3.5%無上限/全支付消費30%/遠銀Bankee設定eACH轉帳120元/台新信用卡限時首刷SHIN LI8,046 次觀看・6 天前
- 釜山海景第一排看海景吃燒肉！板橋Edenx食旅22,427 次觀看・4 天前
- 豆腐直接包在飯裡厲害了，很多人都不知道這種吃法，加上高麗菜，一上桌就搶光！芭樂媽的家 Qistin Wong TV38,572 次觀看・6 天前