Meet the coal miner risking it all in Mexico
STORY: In his twenty-one years of mining coal in Mexico’s northern state of Coahuila, Juan Briones knows each time he descends the narrow shaft, he’s risking death to make a living.
“When you’re winched down, rocks can fall over and some down it at brutal speed. They can topple onto your head and hurt you. The helmet is your only protection, but if big stones fall over, you can be knocked over. The second danger is gas, as there can be explosions.”
Briones, a father of four, could encounter falling rocks, explosions, floods and cave-ins to haul coal for roughly $150 a week. He keeps digging even after disaster struck a nearby coal mine. His brother-in-law was among 10 trapped at the El Pinabete mine in August when water broke through a shaft wall and flooded it. Two months later, their bodies have yet to be recovered.
The failed rescue efforts at El Pinabete turned attention to the dangers miners face every day at dozens of small, unregulated sites in Mexico’s coal heartland.
Miners such as Briones get hired without contracts, and sent underground with little protection. Reuters reported in September that El Pinabete, one of the many Coahuila mines that provided coal to Mexico’s state-owned power utility, was not visited by labor inspectors.
Critics say these unregulated mines are a public health hazard ignored for too long. Aleida Azamar is a mining analyst at Madrid’s Universidad Complutense.
“For one thing, these mines should be banned. Second, if you are to allow them, then you have to put in security conditions and train personnel to take these workers out in case of an accident. Third, very important: they shouldn’t be so deep because depth is riskier for accidents and disaster, plus, it affects how miners work as deep mines don’t allow for rescues.”
Briones has been working in these mines since he was 14. He said he keeps hauling coal, because that keeps his family fed.
“Sometimes you have the need to survive, to take care of your family as your children demand and they don’t know if there is money or there isn't. For this reason, you get in the mine.”
- 差距拉近50萬票 侯康配緊逼賴蕭配？總統候選人侯友宜、副總統候選人趙少康同台專訪【今天誰來沛】今天誰來沛273,513 次觀看・2 週前
- 今晚變天 入冬最強冷氣團要來了！兩波東北季風接力 低溫恐跌破14度彭博士觀風向55,266 次觀看・1 週前
- 怒遭仲介剝削！千名移工上街頭 轟勞動部失能｜#鏡新聞鏡新聞49,023 次觀看・23 小時前
- 以色列哈瑪斯互釋作戰影片 激烈巷戰 加薩最新空拍 以軍插旗、建築成瓦礫廢墟Yahoo奇摩（國際通）34,239 次觀看・7 小時前
- 中菲南海衝突再起 直擊菲船遭中國水炮攻擊 雙方船隻碰撞瞬間曝光Yahoo奇摩（國際通）18,742 次觀看・6 小時前
- 花2280元買女兒周歲蛋糕 「龜裂像壁癌」 母拿拖鞋怒砸東森新聞影音182,762 次觀看・1 天前
- 火雞肉便當「4菜1湯」只賣50元 嘉義便當店超佛心華視影音24,119 次觀看・1 天前
- 林志玲力挺 AKIRA！大咖嘉賓也一起～ 曝「兒子和爸一起練習」竟有跳舞神基因？娛樂星聞147,884 次觀看・1 天前
- 好心提醒「超出車格」 愛車被刮「哨兵模式」全都錄華視影音67,426 次觀看・2 天前
- 才挺過王力宏事件...徐若瑄爆9年婚斷！3天前吐「我不快樂」2大導火線曝光娛樂星聞138,650 次觀看・1 天前