How long does it take to thrive in a new job?
It takes the average American worker a year and seven months to feel like they’re “thriving” in a new job, according to new research.
In addition to pinpointing how long it takes for respondents to thrive — or expect to thrive — the survey of 2,000 hybrid and remote office workers also looked at what this phrase means.
When asked about the top signs that someone’s thriving in their role, respondents said it was being able to help others — specifically, being able to direct co-workers toward different resources (43%).
That was followed by knowing where to look to find information (42%) and having strong relationships with colleagues (40%).
Commissioned by Glean and conducted by OnePoll, the survey dug further into the importance of having access to information, looking at the connection between clarity at work and being more productive and happier.
The average respondent uses 11 different applications and platforms in their day-to-day work — between email, messaging platforms, project management tools, etc.
With all those different platforms, perhaps it’s not surprising that the average respondent needs to search for documents or other information 35 times per week, or about seven times each day.
This time adds up: on average, respondents will spend 13 minutes searching on their own before asking for help — adding up to almost a full workday of potentially wasted time per week.
According to the results, the ability to access the information they’re looking for, without asking for help, would empower 76% of respondents and make them more productive in their role.
But it isn’t always easy to find what they need, as 42% of those surveyed said the information at their job is scattered throughout different platforms.
“To really thrive at work, we need an easy way to find answers to our questions, to access information wherever it’s stored and to stay connected not just to company knowledge, but also to one another,” said Arvind Jain, CEO and co-founder, Glean. “It’s empowering to have a sense of clarity and alignment on shared goals — we’re happier and more fulfilled when we’re able to contribute effectively.”
The survey also asked specifically about the onboarding process, and how respondents’ experience was when joining their current organization.
Of those who remember going through the onboarding process, 81% admitted feeling overwhelmed with information.
And 69% said they didn’t know how to find necessary information when starting their current job.
It’s not only a lack of information that new hires face, but also a lack of connection: 79% said it's easy to feel anxious or isolated when starting a new job if they don't have the full context of how and why a company works the way it does.
“So much of workplace attrition comes from people who’ve been on board for less than a year, who never became fully engaged with the business,” said Jain. “Without an easy way to onboard and connect with the company — its knowledge and people — new employees often feel completely lost.”
“Especially in this era of hybrid and remote work, it’s vital to empower all employees, from day one, with simple access to everything, and everyone, they need to do their best work.”
- 搶拿白沙屯媽祖年曆 逾2公里人龍冒寒雨排隊華視影音4,305 次觀看・17 小時前
- 小獼猴掉落遭母獅叼走 驚悚一幕在動物園上演華視影音16,290 次觀看・23 小時前
- 台3線「彎中彎」 重機失控衝撞對向車 竹科工程師亡東森新聞影音5,704 次觀看・15 小時前
- 台3線苗栗三灣段 重機疑過彎失控！滑對向撞車亡東森新聞影音3,944 次觀看・20 小時前
- 合體舒淇自拍誇「亞洲第二美」 被問林志玲第幾小S裝傻秒回：誰？娛樂星聞3,228 次觀看・17 小時前
- 五月天被爆假唱 鑒定結果曝光！ 兩派吵翻天「五月天退票」衝熱搜娛樂星聞7,179 次觀看・14 小時前
- 悚! 壽山小獼猴嬉戲掉入非洲獅區 成為母獅獵物TVBS新聞網影音2,951 次觀看・20 小時前
- 一分鐘報天氣/週一(12/04日) 午後水氣漸增降雨擴大，明週一鋒面掠過普遍有雨Yahoo奇摩新聞（報氣象）2,232 次觀看・1 天前
- 大巨蛋啟用靠蔣? 柯:我花很多力氣讓它安全TVBS新聞網影音53,690 次觀看・15 小時前
- 台灣億萬富豪達46人! 居亞洲第4 平均擁26億美元民視影音66,551 次觀看・16 小時前
- 林襄自曝砸了近百萬做微整 女記者現場驗E奶認證「原廠的」娛樂星聞16,107 次觀看・3 天前
- 會噴水的京都漢堡排你吃過嗎？ 肉汁爆發！這餐廳連當地人也搶著排Yahoo創作摩人1,710 次觀看・3 天前
- 易起吃飯吧｜椒鹽中卷Lee Yi李易31,701 次觀看・1 個月前
- 學霸直言：這種場面我也無法！｜老師面前大曝光！？女生褲子流血時... 搭上陌生人的車？一堆無法解決的事！｜Host.立淳、芭比｜【鬧編出任務 EP.241】Koobii鬧大學1,609 次觀看・1 個月前
- 粉絲、網紅都是共犯！「底層網紅」的詐騙產業鏈是如何形成的？《七七說書》EP 053｜志祺七七志祺七七 X 圖文不符812 次觀看・3 天前