Marine researchers say they discovered more than 100 new species and several previously unidentified seamounts during an expedition in the southeast Pacific, off the coast of Chile, over January and February.
A Schmidt Ocean Institute expedition led by Dr Javier Sellanes of Chile’s Universidad Catolica del Norte identified species including deep-sea corals, glass sponges, sea urchins, amphipods, squat lobsters, and others during an exploration of seamounts along the Nazca and Salas y Gomez Ridge, located both inside and outside of Chile’s jurisdiction, the Schmidt Ocean Institute said.
Using an underwater robot capable of reaching depths of 4,500 meters, or just under three miles, researchers mapped 52,777 square kilometers of seafloor and discovered four previously unknown seamounts, or underwater mountains, according to the institute.
“The scientists found that each seamount hosted distinct ecosystems, many of which are vulnerable, including thriving deep-sea coral reefs and sponge gardens,” they said.
“We far exceeded our hopes on this expedition. You always expect to find new species in these remote and poorly explored areas, but the amount we found, especially for some groups like sponges, is mind-blowing,” said Sellanes. “These thriving and healthy ecosystems indicate that the Nazca-Desventuradas and Juan Fernandez Marine Parks effectively protect delicate marine habitats.”
The Schmidt Ocean Institute said a second expedition would launch on February 24, and its underwater dives would be streamed live on the institute’s YouTube channel. Credit: Schmidt Ocean Institute via Storyful
- Newborn Whale Calves Spotted Off East CoastStoryful2,701 次觀看・17 小時前
- 700-Pound Stingray Tries to Taste Photographer's CameraStoryful244 次觀看・1 天前
- Stranded Dolphin Saved by Volunteers in CornwallStoryful521 次觀看・1 天前
- Seals and Dolphins Steal Hearts in Chicago Zoo Valentine’s CelebrationsStoryful133 次觀看・1 週前
- Lemon Sharks Close to Florida Shore Glide Over Colorful ReefsStoryful3,179 次觀看・2 週前
- 'Wow!': Shark Almost Denies Fisherman His Catch of the DayStoryful3,957 次觀看・2 週前
- Diver Glides Alongside Whale SharkStoryful409 次觀看・2 週前
- Dolphins Return to Home After $10m Upgrade CompletedStoryful1,066 次觀看・2 週前
- Dolphin Rescued After Getting Tangled in Crab Pot LineStoryful1,757 次觀看・3 週前
- Stupid News: The gators aren't real; Love and DeathKXRM Colorado Springs6 次觀看・15 小時前
- Nebraska Zoo Extracts 70 Coins From White Alligator's StomachCover Media447 次觀看・18 小時前
- Scène rare filmée entre un léopard et un crocodile au Sri LankaKameraOne136,375 次觀看・21 小時前
- Leopard and crocodile clash over meal then lie down next to each otherKameraOne30,275 次觀看・22 小時前
- What happens when raindrops land on insects?Reuters Videos1,604 次觀看・1 個月前
- 'Very Cute': Spider Leaves Trail of Silk Over Phone Before Jumping AwayStoryful945 次觀看・4 個月前
- Police officers swarmed by wasps during arrestReuters Videos174,746 次觀看・5 個月前
- Spider Lightning Illuminates Sky in San AntonioStoryful5,267 次觀看・5 個月前
- Adorable Baby Elephant Slips and Slides in Tiny BathtubStoryful25 次觀看・9 年前